Coat of arms
Location of Lukovit
|• Mayor||Ivan Grancharov|
|Elevation||171 m (561 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Lukovit (Bulgarian: Луковит) is a town in northern Bulgaria, part of Lovech Province. It is situated on both banks of the Zlatna Panega between the Danubian Plain and the foot of Stara Planina. As of December 2009, the town has a population of 9,630 inhabitants.
The town was first mentioned in Ottoman registers of 1430. In 1495, it had 47 households. Between 1683 and 1687, Lukovit was part of an Ottoman process of forceful Islamization, but was never completely converted as late as 1860 when it had 250 Muslim Bulgarian and 260 Eastern Orthodox households. After the Liberation of Bulgaria, all the Muslims left the town.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lukovit.|