|Route:||Lundy, Bideford and Ilfracombe|
|Builder:||Detlef Hegemann Rolandwerft|
|Launched:||29 March 1958|
|Acquired:||6 August 1958|
|Status:||in active service|
|Displacement:||294 long tons (299 t)|
|Length:||43.46 m (142 ft 7 in)|
|Beam:||7.83 m (25 ft 8 in)|
|Draught:||1.65 m (5 ft 5 in)|
The Oldenburg was named after the former grand duchy of Oldenburg, Germany, and launched on 29 March 1958 in Bremen. On 6 August she was delivered to Deutsche Bundesbahn Schiffsdienst Wangerooge, and used for a ferry service between the mainland and the Frisian island of Wangerooge.
She was first chartered by and then sold to Reederei Warrings in 1975 for duty-free shopping cruises around East Frisia. In 1982 she was sold to Harle-Reederei Warrings in Carolinensiel, Lower Saxony, Germany.
In November 1985 she was sold to the Lundy Co. Ltd. to replace Lundy's transport boat, the Polar Bear. After a refurbishment at Appledore Shipyard including bringing the ship up to modern British shipping standards, she began her journeys for passengers and supplies to the island of Lundy.
In 1999, the Lundy Co. Ltd received a Heritage Lottery Fund Grant which was used to upgrade the ship with two new 317Kw Cummins KT19-M Diesel Engines, increasing her top speed from 11.5 to 12.5 Knots. The grant was also used to construct a new aft canopy and undertake a refurbishment programme, bringing the total passenger capacity count to 267.
- "M/S OLDENBURG (1958)". www.faktaomfartyg.se. Retrieved 5 October 2009.
- "Lundy supply vessel MS Oldenburg celebrates its 50th birthday". www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk. Retrieved 5 October 2009.
- Oldenburg on Lundy Island
- Dates on faktacomfartyg (in Swedish)
- Pictures on Flickr