Location of Marten, Bulgaria
|• Mayor||Todor Georgiev|
|Elevation||42 m (138 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
The town was founded as a Roman Fortress called Tegra (Tegris, Tigris) in the 1st century AD, a part of the fortifications on the Danube border of the Empire. It is supposed to have existed also during the Second Bulgarian Empire. In early Ottoman documents it is named Maruteni.
Marten was proclaimed a town on August 7, 2006, by the House of Ministers of the Republic of Bulgaria.
"St. George" church, built in 1896.
Marten Fair is organized annually on May 6.