The Martin T and TT was a training biplane produced in the United States in 1913 for military use. It was a conventional, three-bay biplane with unstaggered wings of equal span. The pilot and instructor sat in tandem, open cockpits with dual controls. Fixed, taildragger undercarriage was fitted which could be exchanged for a single pontoon under the fuselage and wingtip floats.
|Model T, Model TT|
|Role||Military trainer aircraft|
|National origin||United States|
|Designer||Charles F. Willard|
|Primary user||United States Army|
Early examples were delivered to the Army without engines, so that the Army could power them with engines salvaged from other aircraft, but later TTs came equipped with Curtiss, Hall-Scott, or Sturtevant engines.
The first Martin T acquired, Signal Corps Number 31, was deployed to Texas in April 1915 as the Army massed around Brownsville in response to civil war in Mexico involving forces under Pancho Villa. On April 20, S.C. 31 became the first American military aircraft to be fired on by a hostile force. Although not hit by a machine gun firing at it from the Mexican side of the border, the returning pilot taxied it into a ditch and damaged it beyond repair.
Data from Holcomb
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Martin T.|