Mattapany-Sewall Archeological Site
|Nearest city||Lexington Park, Maryland|
|NRHP reference No.||85000164 |
|Added to NRHP||February 01, 1985|
Mattapany-Sewall Archeological Site is an archaeological site in St. Mary's County, Maryland. It is located at the Patuxent River Naval Air Station on a level terrace approximately 45' above sea level, less than 1000' south of the Patuxent River in an unused wooded/grassy tract. Documentary evidence identifies the site as Mattapany-Sewall, a manor established in 1663 and occupied from 1666 to 1684 by Charles Calvert, 3rd Baron Baltimore. It served as a governmental meeting place and colonial arsenal, and was the scene of the 1689 battle, known as the Protestant Revolution of 1689, in which Maryland's Proprietary government was overthrown.
- Mattapany-Sewall Archeological Site, St. Mary's County, including photo in 1982, at Maryland Historical Trust
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. MD-688, "Mattapany, Patuxent River vicinity, Millstone Landing vicinity, St. Mary's County, MD", 4 photos, supplemental material
|This article about a Registered Historic Place in St. Mary's County Maryland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|