Ministry of Justice of the Russian Empire

Summary

The Ministry of Justice was one of the Russian Empire's central public institutions and was established on 8 September 1802. The ministry was headed by the Minister of Justice (who was at the same time the Senate Procurator General).

The Shuvalov Mansion was the ministry's headquarters in Saint Petersburg

StructureEdit

  • A Board of Consultation for the cases brought from the Senate before the Minister of Justice as Procurator General.
  • First Department.
  • Second Department.
  • The Office of Surveys and the Surveying Institute (since 1870).
  • Imperial School of Jurisprudence.
  • Moscow Archives of the Ministry of Justice.
  • The Council on Prison Affairs and the Chief Prisons Office (since 1895, transferred from Ministry of Interior).

See alsoEdit

SourcesEdit

  • Statesman handbook for Russia. 1896.
  • Encyclopedia of St. Petersburg