|Comune di Nardò|
18th century column in Piazza Salandra
Nardò within the Province of Lecce
|Frazioni||Boncore, Cenate, Pagani, Palude del Capitano, Portoselvaggio, Roccacannuccia, Santa Caterina, Sant'Isidoro, Santa Maria al Bagno, Torre Inserraglio, Torre Uluzzo, Villaggio Resta|
|• Mayor||Giuseppe Mellone|
|• Total||190.48 km2 (73.54 sq mi)|
|Elevation||45 m (148 ft)|
(30 November 2017)
|• Density||170/km2 (430/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Gregory the Illuminator|
|Saint day||February 20|
For centuries, it had been one of th central cities of the Byzantine Empire, until 1497, when the ducal House of Acquaviva acquired it under their domain. During those years it became the main cultural hotspot of Salento, seat of many Universities, Academies, literary and philosophical studies: it was given the name of Nuoua Atene litterarum.
With almost 32.000 inhabitants and 190 squared kilometres of land, it is the second largest and most populated city among those in the Province, right after Lecce, and also one of the most culturally active towns of Salento. The Old Town is particularly rich with palaces, churches, chapels and other architectural details shaped accordingly to the principles of Lecce's Baroque style. Indeed, the city is a significant example of this art movement along with Gallipoli and Lecce.
The stretch of coast wet by the Ionian Sea is split into small inhabited fractions such as Santa Caterina, Santa Maria al Bagno, Sant'Isidoro and Porto Selvaggio. The latter is a Nature Reserve created by a reforestation that happened during 1950s.
Part of Salento, Nardò is located in the north-western area of the province, by the Ionian Sea. The municipality borders with Avetrana (TA), Copertino, Galatina, Galatone, Leverano, Porto Cesareo, Salice Salentino and Veglie.
Traces of human presence in the area dates from Palaeolithic times. The settlement was founded by the Messapi around the year 1000 BC. The Romans conquered it in 269 BC and built the Via Traiana through it. After the fall of the Western Empire it was under the Byzantines and the Lombards.
In 1055 the Normans captured Nardò. Their heirs were ousted by the Angevines in 1266. In 1497 the Aragonese gave it to Andrea Matteo Acquaviva, whose son Belisario was the first Duke of Nardò, and promoted the Renaissance in the city.
In 1647 the city rebelled against the Spanish domination, but the viceroyal troops suppressed the riot with heavy terms.
The area around Nardò produces red and rose Italian DOC wines. The grapes are limited to a harvest yield of 18 tonnes/ha with the finished needing a minimum alcohol level of 12.5%. The wines are primarily composed of 80-100% Negroamaro with Montepulciano and Malvasia Nera permitted to fill in the remaining 20%.
- The Piazza Salandra is the center of the town.
- Nardò Cathedral, built around 1000 AD. It has an 18th-century façade, but the interior has maintained the Romanesque-Gothic original appearance.
- Church of San Domenico (16th-18th centuries). It has a highly decorated façade with Baroque caryatids, columns and vegetable figures.
- Chiesa del Carmine, with a fine Renaissance portal.
- Church of San Cosimo (1618)
- Temple of the Osanna (1603)
- Nardò Ring in Nardò is used as a test track for driving at high speeds.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- (in Italian) Source: Istat 2014
- P. Saunders Wine Label Language pg 186 Firefly Books 2004 ISBN 1-55297-720-X
- On location: ‘Walking on Sunshine’, Joanne O’Connor, 27 June 2014, Financial Times
- (in Italian) Official website
- Views of the Baroque land of Nardò
- Useful information and contacts about Nardò
- How to get to Nardò
- Puglia Photo Gallery
- Nardò coast live webcam
- Salento (in Italian)