Navy Medical Service Corps

Summary

United States Navy Medical Service Corps
Seal of the United States Navy Medical Service Corps.png
Seal of the United States Navy Medical Service Corps[1]
FoundedAugust 4, 1947; 72 years ago (1947-08-04)
Country United States of America
Branch United States Navy[2]
RoleMilitary medical support and research
Size2,600 officers (approximately)
WebsiteHomepage

The United States Navy Medical Service Corps is a staff corps of the U.S. Navy, consisting of officers engaged in medical support duties. It includes healthcare scientists and researchers, comprising around 60% of its personnel, and healthcare administrators, comprising the remaining 40%.[3] Many of the latter are former enlisted hospital corpsmen, the Medical Service Corps Inservice Procurement Program (MSC-IPP) being one of several routes from enlisted service to commissioned status. The Medical Service Corps has around 2,600 serving commissioned officers.[4]

Prior Chiefs / Directors

[5]
Name Photo Term
RADM Timothy H. Weber
Timothy H. Weber (3).jpg
2019-Present[6]
RADM Anne M. Swap
Anne M. Swap (3).jpg
2015[7]-2019[8]
RADM Terry J. Moulton[9]
RDML Terry Moulton.jpg
2012-2015[7]
RADM Eleanor V. Valentin [10]
Evee.jpg
2009-2012
RADM Michael Mittelman [10]
Michael H. Mittelman (3).jpg
2006-2009
CAPT Brian G. Brannman 2004-2006
RADM J. Philip Van Landingham
Joseph P Landingham.jpg
1999-2004
RADM H. Edward Phillips 1995-1999
RADM S. Todd Fisher 1993-1995
RADM Charles Loar
RADM Charles R Loar USN.jpg
1991-1993
RADM Donald Shuler
Donald E Shuler USN.jpg
1987-1991
RADM Lewis Angelo
Lewis E Angelo USN.jpg
1982-1978
CAPT Paul Nelson 1978-1982
CAPT William Green Jr. 1976-1978
CAPT Albert Schwab 1973-1976
CAPT Emmett VanLandingham 1968-1973
CAPT Robert Hermann 1962-1968
CAPT Leo J. Elsasser 1958-1962
CAPT Willard C. Caukins 1954-1958

Organization

The Navy Medical Service Corps was created on 4 August 1947 by act of the United States Congress. Originally it had four specialist sections: Supply and Administration, Optometry, Allied Sciences, and Pharmacy.[3] Currently the Navy Medical Service Corps has three sections: Healthcare Administration, Healthcare Sciences, and Clinical Care Providers.

Healthcare Sciences are subdivided into the following fields of specialty:[3]

Clinical Care Providers are subdivided into the following fields of specialty:[3]

See also

References

  1. ^ "Navy Medical Service Corps" (PDF). Retrieved 2019-06-19.
  2. ^ "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2017-02-11. Retrieved 2017-04-09.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
  3. ^ a b c d The Medical Service Corps at navy.mil (view HTML)
  4. ^ Medical Service Corps at navy.com
  5. ^ "Change Of Office And Retirement Ceremony for the Director, Medical Service Corps". 2004-01-16. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
  6. ^ Kowitz, Regena (2019-08-12). "Navy's 19th Director of the Medical Service Corps Takes Charge with a Nod to the Past and Eyes on the Future". US Navy. Retrieved 2019-09-02.
  7. ^ a b "Rear Adm. Terry Moulton, left and Capt. Anne Swap, right, cut the cake at the MSC change of office ceremony". US Navy. 2015-12-01. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
  8. ^ "Biography, Rear Admiral Anne M. Swap". US Navy. Archived from the original on 2019-04-05. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
  9. ^ "Medical Service Corps Receives New Corps Chief". US Navy. 2012-08-30. Archived from the original on 2019-04-05. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
  10. ^ a b "Medical Service Corps Receives New Director". US Navy. 2009-10-08. Archived from the original on 2019-04-05. Retrieved 2019-04-04.

External links

  • Naval Medical Research Center official webpage (on USN official website)
  • Medical Service Corps. Navy.com (Health Care Opportunities)