Neubau (German pronunciation: [ˈnɔɪ̯baʊ̯] (listen); Central Bavarian: Neibau) is the seventh district of Vienna (German: 7. Bezirk). It is located near the center of Vienna and was established as a district in 1850, but borders changed later. Neubau is a heavily populated urban area, with a major shopping area and residential buildings. It has a population of 32,027 people (as of 2016-01-01) within an area of 1.61 km² (0.62 sq.mi.).
7th District of Vienna
|• District Director||Thomas Blimlinger (Green)|
|• First Deputy||Isabelle Uhl (Green)|
|• Second Deputy||Gallus Vögel (SPÖ)|
| • Representation|
|Greens 18, SPÖ 10, |
FPÖ 5, ÖVP 4, NEOS 3
|• Total||1.61 km2 (0.62 sq mi)|
|• Density||20,000/km2 (52,000/sq mi)|
|Address of |
It consists of the former Vorstädte of Neubau, Altlerchenfeld, St. Ulrich, Schottenfeld and Spittelberg. The district borders are formed by Lerchenfelder Straße in the north, Mariahilfer Straße in the south, Neubaugürtel in the west, and Museumstraße and Museumsplatz in the east.
In the 18th century, Neubau was the location of the city's silk factories. At this time, the area became densely populated. Today, it is an important shopping district, especially in the Mariahilfer Straße and Neubaugasse. Many pubs, popular among the district's large student population, are located in the Spittelberg neighborhood. The Volkstheater Wien, one of Vienna's large mainstream theatres, and the Austrian Ministry of Justice are located in Neubau, as well as the Museumsquartier, a centre dedicated to modern art, housing for example the Leopold Collection.
Like Mariahilf, Neubau is known as one of Vienna's districts with the youngest, most liberal, and urban population.
|District Directors since 1945|
|Josef Matz (KPÖ)||4/1945 -7/1945|
|Wilhelm Dürnbacher (ÖVP)||1945–1950|
|Ferdinand König (ÖVP)||1950–1954|
|Franz Glamm (ÖVP)||1954–1959|
|Peter Platzer (ÖVP)||1959–1964|
|Franz Pospisil (ÖVP)||1964–1965|
|Otto Limanovsky (ÖVP)||1965–1978|
|Josef Karrer (ÖVP)||1978–1991|
|Herbert Tamchina (SPÖ)||1991–1998|
|Gabriele Zimmermann (SPÖ)||1998–2001|
|Thomas Blimlinger (Greens)||2001-|
After the Second World War, the ÖVP had the largest party vote until 1991, when it was displaced by the SPÖ. In 2001, the SPÖ in turn was displaced, this time by the Greens.
At the 2010 elections, the Greens increased their vote, the Liberal Forum vote remained at 1.1%, and the BZÖ increased their vote from their 2005 level of 0.8% to 1.1%.
This district was the first in 2001 and until the 2004 (European Elections 2004) the only district in Austria where the Greens had a relative majority (plurality).