|No. 141 Squadron RAF|
|Active||1 January 1918 - 1 February 1920|
4 October 1939 - 7 September 1945
17 June 1946 - 1 February 1958
1 April 1959 - 31 March 1964.
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Motto(s)||Latin: Caedimus Noctu|
("We slay by night")
|Squadron codes||UD Allocated Apr - Sep 1939 |
TW Apr 1940 - Sep 1945, Jun 1946 - Apr 1951
|Post-1950 squadron roundel|
No. 141 Squadron of the Royal Air Force was formed on 1 January 1918 at Rochford, for home defence in the London Area. The Squadron moved to RAF Biggin Hill in February and giving up its mixed collection of types in favour of Bristol F.2 Fighters during March. In March 1919, it moved to Tallaght Aerodrome Ireland, and was disbanded the following year, on 1 February 1920.
141 Sqn was reformed on 4 October 1939 at RAF Turnhouse and was first equipped with Gloster Gladiators then Bristol Blenheims. These were replaced with the Boulton Paul Defiants in April 1940. The first operational patrol was flown on 29 June.
The squadron moved to RAF West Malling, Kent in July. Following an unsuccessful encounter with the enemy a few days later, the squadron was re-designated a night fighter unit, a role more suited to the Defiant. The Squadron motto derives from this period.
Later, 141 Squadron converted to Bristol Beaufighters.
On 16 January 1958, No. 141 Squadron, based at RAF Coltishall, near Norwich in Norfolk, dropped the '1' at the beginning of its number and was thus reborn as 41 Squadron. In doing so, the reborn 41 Squadron automatically absorbed 141's all-weather Gloster Javelin FAW.4 fighters and personnel.
(Source: MoD Records.)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 141 Squadron RAF.|