|No. 148 Squadron RAF|
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Two battle axes in saltire. The battle axes were selected as being well-tried and formidable weapons.|
The squadron was formed at Andover Aerodrome on 10 February 1918, it moved to Ford Junction Aerodrome on 1 March 1918 where it was equipped with the Royal Aircraft Factory FE.2b and moved to France on 25 April 1918. It returned to the UK on 17 February 1919 and disbanded at Tangmere on 4 July 1919.
It was reformed at RAF Scampton on 7 June 1937 with the Hawker Audax and the Vickers Wellesley and moved twice before being disbanded and merged into No. 15 Operational Training Unit on 8 April 1940.
With the expansion of the Royal Air Force Special Duties Service the unit was reformed in 1943 as No. 148 (Special Duties) Squadron. The unit's Halifaxes dropped supplies to partisans in southern France, Italy and the Balkans, while its flight of Lysanders under the command of Peter Vaughan-Fowler did agent pick-up operations to Greece, Yugoslavia and southern France. It participated in the Warsaw airlift, where it suffered heavy losses. The unit continued its work through the end of the war.
Date of introduction of aircraft into 148 squadron:
Records from 58RSU indicate 148 Sqdn also operated Blenheims as 58RSU carried out an engine change on Blenheim Z6157 of 148 Sqdn at Maryut in July 1943, after which it was flown to Heliopolis.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 148 Squadron RAF.|