No. 187 Squadron RAF was a Royal Air Force Squadron that was a transport unit towards the end of World War II.
|No. 187 Squadron RAF|
|Active||1 April 1918–1919|
1 February 1945 – 1 Dec 1946
1 February 1953 – 2 Sept 1957
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Squadron Badge||A buzzard carrying a propeller in its claws|
|Squadron codes||PU (Feb 1945 - Dec 1946)|
The squadron formed on 1 April 1918 as a night training unit and disbanded in 1919 without acquiring its own aircraft.
The squadron reformed on 1 February 1945 at RAF Merryfield and equipped with Halifax transport aircraft. It then equipped with Dakotas for trooping flights to India and then destinations in Europe including Bari, Italy. The squadron disbanded in Austria on 1 November 1946 upon renumbering as No. 53 Squadron RAF.
On 7 February 1952 No. 2 Home Ferry Unit was established at Aston Down. On 1 February 1953 the unit was renamed No. 187 Squadron.
The squadron ferried aircraft in the UK and to Germany before it was finally disbanded on 2 September 1957.
|Feb 1945||Mar 1945||Handley Page Halifax||III|
|Mar 1945||Oct 1946||Douglas Dakota||II|
|Feb 1953||Sep 1957||Avro Anson||C.19|
|Mar 1955||Sep 1957||Vickers Varsity||T.1|
|Apr 1955||Sep 1957||Avro Anson||C.12|