|No. 190 Squadron RAF|
|Active||24 Oct 1917 – Apr 1919|
1 Mar 1943 – 31 Dec 1943
5 Jan 1944 – 21 Jan 1946
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Role||Convoy escort |
|Part of||No. 38 Group RAF|
|Motto(s)||Latin: Ex Tenebris|
(Translation: "Through darkness")
|Geoffrey Harry "Buster" Briggs|
|Squadron Badge heraldry||A cloak charged with a double-headed eagle displayed|
|Squadron Codes||G5 (Jan 1944 – Dec 1945)|
L9 (Jan 1944 – Dec 1945)
No. 190 Squadron was a Royal Air Force squadron with a relatively short existence, but a very broad career. It served as a trainer squadron during the first World War and as convoy escort, airborne support and transport squadron during World War II.
No 190 Squadron was formed at Rochford, England on 24 October 1917 as a night training squadron operating amongst others the Royal Aircraft Factory BE.2e and the Airco DH.6. The squadron moved to RAF Newmarket, Suffolk on 14 March 1918 and was disbanded a year later at RAF Upwood in April 1919.
The squadron was re-formed on 1 March 1943 at Sullom Voe, Scotland. The squadron operated the Consolidated Catalina to patrol the North Atlantic. The first U-boat was sunk in the first month of operations. The main role of the squadron was protecting the convoys to and from Russia ("Operation Locomotive"). The squadron disbanded on 31 December 1943, when it was re-numbered to 210 Squadron.
The squadron was re-formed again five days later, on 5 January 1944 at RAF Leicester East as an airborne support unit flying the Short Stirling. It became part of 38 Group on 6 November 1943. On 6 June 1944 the squadron first carried 426 paratroopers to Caen, France. The squadron then returned and the next night towed 18 Airspeed Horsa gliders into France. It moved to RAF Fairford and carried out supply-dropping missions to the advancing troops and SOE operatives. The squadron involvement in supply drops at Battle of Arnhem caused 11 aircraft losses in 3 days. The next move was to RAF Great Dunmow where it towed gliders for the Rhine crossing and paratroopers into the Netherlands to disrupt the German retreat.
As the war ended the squadron re-equipped with the Handley Page Halifax which it used as a freighter for Transport Command until the end of 1945. It was disbanded at Great Dunmow on 21 January 1946 by being renumbered to 295 Squadron.
|October 1917||January 1919||Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2||c|
|October 1917||January 1919||Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2||e|
|October 1917||January 1919||Airco DH.6|
|October 1917||January 1919||AVRO 504||K|
|February 1943||December 1943||Consolidated Catalina||Mk.Ib|
|October 1943||December 1943||Consolidated Catalina||Mk.IV|
|January 1944||June 1945||Short Stirling||Mk.IV|
|May 1945||January 1946||Handley Page Halifax||Mks.III and VII|
|2 October 1917||14 March 1918||RFC Rochford, Essex|
|14 March 1918||5 October 1918||RAF Newmarket, Suffolk|
|5 October 1918||April 1919||RAF Upwood, Cambridgeshire|
|1 March 1943||31 December 1943||RAF Sullom Voe, Shetland Islands, Scotland|
|5 January 1944||25 March 1944||RAF Leicester East, Leicestershire|
|25 March 1944||14 October 1944||RAF Fairford, Gloucestershire|
|14 October 1944||21 January 1946||RAF Great Dunmow, Essex|
|1 March 1943||31 December 1943||W/Cdr. P.H. Alington, DFC|
|5 January 1944||21 September 1944||W/Cdr. G.E. Harrison, DFC, SS(US)|
|2 October 1944||20 April 1945||W/Cdr. R.H. Bunker, DSO, DFC & Bar|
|24 April 1945||1 July 1945||W/Cdr. G.H. Briggs, DFC|
|1 July 1945||21 January 1946||W/Cdr. L.C. Bartram|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 190 Squadron RAF.|