|No. 225 Squadron RAF|
|Active||1 April 1918 - 18 December 1918|
11 October 1939 - 7 January 1947
1 January 1960 - 1 November 1965
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Motto(s)||We guide the sword|
No. 225 Squadron RAF is a former Royal Air Force squadron.
On 11 October 1939 the squadron was reformed at Odiham, equipped with Westland Lysanders, from No. 614A Squadron which had been formed on 3 October 1939 from 'B' Flight 614 Squadron. In 1942 the squadron re-equipped with Hawker Hurricanes and North American Mustangs. After participating in the allied invasion of Tunisia "Operation Torch", the squadron began converting to Supermarine Spitfires in January 1943.
It was reformed on 1 January 1960, from the Joint Experimental Helicopter Unit, equipped with Bristol Sycamores and Westland Whirlwinds. The squadron was based at Andover until moving to Odiham in May 1960, and then Malaysia in November 1963. The squadron disbanded on 1 November 1965.
225 Squadron aircraft wore two different squadron codes during the period 1939-1947.
Code LX was allocated in April 1939 and worn until April 1942.
Code WU was used from April - July 1942, then February 1943 - January 1947.
Four aircraft that were operated by 225 Squadron during World War II are known to survive. They are:
This aircraft was used by the Squadron for reconnaissance patrols along the south coast of England between September 1940 and April 1941.
Link: https://web.archive.org/web/20140902005253/http://www.maltaviationmuseum.com/spitfire.asp This Spitfire was photographed at Florence, Italy wearing the code WU-S.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 225 Squadron RAF.|