|No. 274 Squadron RAF|
|Active||15 June 1919 - 30 January 1920|
19 August 1940 – 7 September 1945
|Branch||Royal Air Force|
|Squadron Badge heraldry||Eight arrows in saltire|
|Squadron Codes||YK (Aug 1940 - Sep 1940)|
NH Allocated but no evidence of being carried
JJ (Apr 1944 - Sep 1945)
No. 274 Squadron RAF existed briefly in 1918 and 1919 as a patrol and bomber squadron, and served in World War II as a fighter squadron.
No. 5 (Communication) Squadron formed at Bircham Newton, in 1919, but then became No. 274 Squadron on 15 June 1919. It was a bomber squadron, flying Handley Page V/1500s, but then disbanded after six months, on 30 January 1920.
It was back in action by 1940, equipped with Hawker Hurricanes. For Operation Overlord (the Allied invasion of Normandy) it was equipped with the Spitfire IX F operating from RAF Detling in Air Defence of Great Britain, though under the operational control of RAF Second Tactical Air Force.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to No. 274 Squadron RAF.|