No. 536 Squadron was formed at RAF Predannack, Cornwall on 8 September 1942, from No. 1457 (Turbinlite) Flight, as part of No. 10 Group RAF in Fighter Command. Instead of operating only Turbinlite and -rudimentary- Airborne Intercept (AI) radar equipped aircraft (Havocs and Bostons) and working together with a normal nightfighter unit, such as in their case No. 247 Squadron RAF while still 1457 Flight, the unit now also flew with their own Hawker Hurricanes. It was disbanded at RAF Fairwood Common, Glamorganshire on 25 January 1943, when Turbinlite squadrons were, due to lack of success on their part and the rapid development of AI radar, thought to be superfluous.