The North-Western Provinces was an administrative region in British India. The North-Western Provinces were established in 1836, through merging the administrative divisions of the Ceded and Conquered Provinces. In 1858, the nawab-ruled kingdom of Oudh was annexed and merged with the North-Western Provinces to form the renamed North-Western Provinces and Oudh. In 1902, this province was reorganized to form the United Provinces of Agra and Oudh. Allahabad served as its capital from 1858, when it also became the capital of India for a day.
|Province of India under Company rule (till 1858)|
India under the British Raj (from 1858)
North-Western Provinces, constituted in 1836 from erstwhile Presidency of Agra
|Capital||Agra (1836–1858), Allahabad (1858–1902)|
|9,479 km2 (3,660 sq mi)|
• Delhi Territory transferred from N.W. Provinces to Punjab
• Saugor and Nerbudda Territories separated from N.W. Provinces
• Ajmer separated from N.W. Provinces
• The offices of Lieutenant-Governor of the North-Western Provinces and Chief Commissioner of Oudh were combined in the same person
|Today part of||India|
The province included all divisions of the present-day state of Uttar Pradesh with the exception of the Lucknow Division and Faizabad Division of Awadh. Among other regions included at various times were: the Delhi Territory, from 1836 until 1858, when the latter became part of the Punjab Province of British India; Ajmer and Merwara, from 1832 and 1846, respectively, until 1871, when Ajmer-Merwara became a minor province of British India; and the Saugor and Nerbudda Territories from 1853 until 1861, when they were absorbed into the Central Provinces.
In 1856, after the annexation of Oudh State, the North Western Provinces became part of the larger province of North Western Provinces and Oudh. In 1902, the latter province was renamed the United Provinces of Agra and Oudh; in 1904, the region within the new United Provinces corresponding to the North Western Provinces was renamed the Agra Province.