|Group||Main Group Pallasite (anomalous)|
|Composition||Olivine: Fe/Mn = 45.2, Fe/Mg = 0.14; |
Metal: Fe 86 wt%, Ni 13.1 wt%, Ir 0.12 ppm, Au 2.8 ppm, Pt 3.2 ppm, Ga 22.5 ppm, Ge 24.9 ppm
|Found date||July 1990|
One single mass of 198 kilograms (437 lb) was found 27.5 kilometres (17.1 mi) from the town of Pallasovka by N. F. Kharitonov (a local resident) on a dike on the edge of an artificial water reservoir. The pond and dike were built in 1978 using explosives so the mass has probably been lifted to the surface from a depth of about 2 m. In fall 2004, Kharitonov gave a small sample to A. Ye. Milanovsky who transferred it to the Vernadsky Institute (Moscow) and then proved its meteoritic origin.
The town of Pallasovka was named after Peter Pallas (1741-1811), a famous naturalist who took part in the discovery and the study of the first pallasite, a type of stony-iron meteorite named after him. Coincidentally, Pallasovka is a pallasite meteorite named after a town named after the discoverer of pallasites.
This pallasite consists of approximately equal parts of olivine and metal. Some olivine crystals reach a size of 3 centimetres (1.2 in). Its composition is similar to the Main Group pallasites, however it is called anomalous because chromites differ in composition both from that of the Main and Eagle Station pallasite groups.
A 9336 g sample and one polished section are on deposit at Vernad.