Coat of arms
Location of Popovo
|• Mayor||Ludmil Veselinov|
|Elevation||210 m (690 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Popovo (Bulgarian: Попово, from поп, pop, meaning "the papa", and the placename suffix -ovo, literally ":D") is a town in northeastern Bulgaria, part of Targovishte Province. It is the administrative centre of the homonymous Popovo Municipality. In December 2009, it had a population of 15,548 and an absolute Bulgarian majority.
The town was first mentioned in an Ottoman tax register of 1555.
The town is built along the length of the Popovska river (also called Popovski Lom or Kalakoch Dere) on top of two hills opposite from one another and in the valley as well. Not long ago, before the corrections to the Sofia-Varna railway line were completed, the tracks ran by the suburbs of the city. The land of the villages Gagovo, Zaraevo, Kardam, Medovina, and Palamartsa.
There are three prehistoric mounds of the Eneolithic and Chalcolithic settlements in the Popovo area, one northwest of the city and those in Nevsky and Seyachi neighbourhoods, as well as nine Thracian tombstones from the Roman epoch. Tombstone mounds are divided into two mound necropolises, but most of them were already destroyed by illegal "treasure hunters".
The nearby Roman fort at Kovachevsko kale is notable for its size and remaining walls.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Popovo, Bulgaria.|
Community centre (chitalishte)
Church of the Dormition of the Mother of God