|Part of British Forces Gibraltar|
Shown within Gibraltar
|Type||Permanent Joint Operating Base|
|Owner||Ministry of Defence|
|Operator||Royal Air Force|
|Controlled by||Strategic Command|
|Airfield shared with a civilian terminal|
|In use||1942 – present|
|Battles/wars||Second World War: Operation Torch |
Sierra Leone Civil War
|Wing Commander Annella Doherty MBE RAF|
|Occupants||No units assigned|
|Identifiers||IATA: GIB, ICAO: LXGB, WMO: 8495|
|Elevation||3.7 metres (12 ft) AMSL|
|Source: RAF Gibraltar Defence Aerodrome Manual|
RAF Gibraltar (also formerly known as North Front) is a Royal Air Force station on Gibraltar. No military aircraft are currently stationed there, but RAF, Commonwealth and aircraft of other NATO nations will periodically arrive for transient stopovers, exercises, or other temporary duty. Administered by British Forces Gibraltar, the station is a joint civil-military facility that also functions as the Rock's civilian airport – Gibraltar Airport, with the civilian airport's passenger terminal building and apron facilities located on the north side of the runway while the apron and hangar of RAF Gibraltar are located on the south side of the runway.
The airport was constructed during World War II when Gibraltar was an important naval base for the British. Originally opened in 1939, it was only an emergency airfield for the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm. However, the runway was later extended by reclaiming some land from the Bay of Gibraltar using rock blasted from the Rock of Gibraltar while carrying out works on military tunnels. This last major extension of the runway allowed larger aircraft to land at Gibraltar. At this time the airfield completely obliterated the former Gibraltar horse racing track.
On 25 September 1939, No. 200 (Coastal) Group RAF was formed as a subordinate formation to HQ RAF Mediterranean in control of No. 202 Squadron RAF. The Group's function was the control of Royal Air Force units operating from Gibraltar. In late 1940 the Group was transferred to Coastal Command. Later a joint RN/RAF Area Combined Headquarters was formed which commenced operations in early 1942.
RAF North Front opened in 1942 and RAF New Camp opened around the same time.
Following the major reorganization of the Allied air forces at the Casablanca Conference in January 1943, RAF Gibraltar became a major sub-command of the Mediterranean Air Command under Air Chief Marshal Sir Arthur Tedder in February 1943.
Anti-submarine warfare was a major priority of RAF Gibraltar during the later years of the Second World War and some of their aircraft were equipped with special detectors to locate German U-boats in the relatively shallow waters around Gibraltar. United States Navy Fleet Air Wing 15 based at Port Lyautey coordinated its antisubmarine warfare operations with RAF Gibraltar and assigned a ZP-14 Squadron blimp pilot/liaison officer to Gibraltar.
On 29 May 1945 the Area Combined Headquarters was shut down and most of the personnel sent home. Weather flights from Gibraltar were maintained at the end of the war by No. 520 Squadron RAF flying Halifaxes. This was superseded by a detachment of No. 518 Squadron RAF from Aldergrove, and then by the arrival of No. 224 Squadron RAF. Initially the squadron dispatched a detachment in May 1948, but the whole squadron moved to Gibraltar in August 1951. It was re-equipped with Avro Shackletons. The station officially became "RAF Gibraltar" in 1966.
By the 1980s RAF Gibraltar was increasingly being used as a Forward Operating Base for middle east operations.
In 2016 a major runway resurfacing project was completed ensuring both military and civilian flights could continue.
|No. 48 Squadron||Lockheed Hudson|
|No. 179 Squadron||Vickers Wellington|
|No. 202 Squadron||Consolidated Catalina|
|No. 210 Squadron||Catalina|
|No. 233 Squadron||Hudson|
|No. 248 Squadron Detachment||Bristol Beaufighter|
|No. 544 Squadron Detachment||Supermarine Spitfire|
|No. 813 Squadron, Fleet Air Arm||Fairey Swordfish|
|No. 1403 (Meteorological) Flight||Handley Page Hampden, Gloster Gladiator|
The modern day control tower of RAF Gibraltar/Gibraltar Airport
The runway of RAF Gibraltar/Gibraltar Airport looking from East to West
A Lockheed Hudson of No. 233 Squadron RAF leaves its dispersal at Gibraltar for a reconnaissance sortie, in August 1942.
Goodyear ZNP-K ships of United States Navy Blimp Squadron ZP-14 coordinated their anti-submarine warfare operations with RAF Gibraltar in 1944.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to RAF Gibraltar.|