USAAF Station AAF-469
|Near Marlborough, Wiltshire, United Kingdom|
|Controlled by||Royal Air Force|
United States Army Air Forces
|Battles/wars||European Theatre of World War II|
Air Offensive, Europe July 1942 - May 1945
|Garrison||Eighth Air Force|
Ninth Air Force
RAF Transport Command
RAF Flying Training Command
|Occupants||64th Troop Carrier Group|
434th/435th Troop Carrier Groups
437th Troop Carrier Group
No. 23 Group RAF
Opened in 1942 to the south of Ramsbury village, it was used by both the Royal Air Force and United States Army Air Forces. During the war it was primarily a transport airfield. After the war it was closed in 1946, and today the remains of the airfield are on private land being used as agricultural fields.
Ramsbury was known as USAAF Station AAF-469 for security reasons by the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) during the war, to avoid naming its location. Its USAAF Station Code was "RY".
The airfield was fairly complete when the first operational users arrived. The USAAF Twelfth Air Force 64th Troop Carrier Group, equipped with Douglas C-47 Skytrain and Douglas C-53 Skytrooper, arrived from Westover Army Airfield, Massachusetts on 18 August 1942. Operational squadrons of the group were:
The unit was temporarily assigned to the VIII Air Support Command for training at Ramsbury, and conducted an extensive training program while flying cargo, passengers, and courier missions for several months, before leaving with paratroopers for Operation Torch, the invasion of North Africa on 9 November 1942, being deployed to Blida Airfield, Algeria.
From November 1943 to January 1944, the airfield was used by the air echelons of the 434th and 435th Troop Carrier Groups from RAF Fulbeck and RAF Langar with C-47s and C-53s. The groups conducted exercises with the 101st Airborne Division.
The following units were also here at some point:
With the end of military control, Ramsbury was returned to agricultural use. By the mid-1960s, much of the concrete had been removed.
Today outlines of the main runways can be discerned on aerial photography, with the perimeter track being reduced largely to a single-lane agricultural road. None of the numerous dispersal pads to the southwest of the airfield remain, and there is no evidence of any of the hangars or the technical site. A very short piece of the end of 32 runway can be seen where the concrete is still at full width, at the intersection with what once was the perimeter track.
A large poultry farm has been erected at the intersection of the 32 end of the NW/SE and 02 end of the NE/SW runways. Several runoff retention ponds are visible with many metal storage silos.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to RAF Ramsbury.|