|Part of RAF Linton-on-Ouse|
|Near Topcliffe, North Yorkshire in England|
Shown within North Yorkshire
|Type||Relief Landing Ground|
|Owner||Ministry of Defence|
|Operator||Royal Air Force|
|Controlled by||No. 22 Group (Training)|
|Identifiers||ICAO: EGXZ, WMO: 03265|
|Elevation||28 metres (92 ft) AMSL|
|Source: RAF Topcliffe Defence Aerodrome Manual|
Topcliffe opened in September 1940 as a bomber station in RAF Bomber Command and was home to No. 77 Squadron and No. 102 Squadron, both flying the Armstrong Whitworth Whitley heavy bomber. There was a decoy site at Raskelf. No. 419 Squadron and No. 424 Squadron of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) moved in flying Vickers Wellington bombers and later, the Handley Page Halifax III. On 1 January 1943 the station was transferred to No. 6 Group RCAF and became a training station. The station, along with sub-stations at Wombleton, Dalton and Dishforth were designated as No. 61 (Training) Base in late 1943.
No.1 Air Navigation School was located at Topcliffe between March 1957 & December 1961. The Air Electronics school came in January 1962 and from 1967 became the Air Electronics & Engineers School, flying Vickers Varsity T.1 aircraft.
The Airman Aircrew Initial Training School was located at Topcliffe from January 1967 until February 1970.
In 1974 much of the station was transferred to the British Army and became Alanbrooke Barracks, now home of 4th Regiment Royal Artillery. However, all flying facilities remain intact. The wartime control tower, with modifications, is still used, and the station is referred to as RAF Topcliffe by the RAF.
During the eighties, Topcliffe was home of the Royal Navy Elementary Flying School. In the nineties it was temporarily home to a Shorts Tucano squadron of the RAF Central Flying School. It was the home of the Tucano Air Navigation Squadron, teaching student navigators of both the Royal Air Force and the Royal Navy until April 2002 when it moved to RAF Linton-on-Ouse.
No. 635 Volunteer Gliding Squadron operated from Topcliffe from 2009 when it moved from its former home at RAF Samlesbury. The unit disbanded in 2016 as part of the relaunch of air cadet aviation.
RAF Topcliffe was a satellite station which served in the role of a Relief Landing Ground for Shorts Tucano T1 aircraft of No. 1 Flying Training School previously based nearby at RAF Linton-on-Ouse (one of two, the other being Dishforth Airfield). No RAF personnel are based permanently at the airfield and airfield services are provided by personnel assigned to RAF Linton-on-Ouse. (Unsure of personnel supply now as RAF Linton-on-Ouse has closed).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to RAF Topcliffe.|