Juan Maria Sanchez (1791–1873), son of Jose Tadeo Sanchez, was a former Presidio of Santa Barbara soldier. He married Maria Ynes Josefa Guevara (1794–1862).
With the cession of California to the United States following the Mexican-American War, the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo provided that the land grants would be honored. As required by the Land Act of 1851, a claim for Rancho Santa Clara del Norte was filed with the Public Land Commission in 1852, and the grant was patented to Juan Maria Sanchez in 1869.
Following the droughts in 1864, Sanchez sold Rancho Santa Clara del Norte to the Schiappa Pietra brothers, natives of Italy. Antonio Schiappa Pietra (1832–1895) came to California in 1853, and opened a general merchandise store in Ventura in 1857. He was joined by his brothers Frederico Schiappa Pietra (–1867) and Leopoldo Schiappa Pietra (1842–). In 1902, Leopoldo sold the rancho to California Farm and Fruit Company of Manchester.
Historic sites of the RanchoEdit
- Sanchez Adobe —adobe residence built in 1838 by Juan Maria Sanchez, with a second story added in 1900.
- ^ Ogden Hoffman, 1862, Reports of Land Cases Determined in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, Numa Hubert, San Francisco
- ^ Diseño del Rancho Santa Clara del Norte
- ^ United States. District Court (California : Southern District) Land Case 90 SD
- ^ Report of the Surveyor General 1844 - 1886 Archived 2009-05-04 at the Wayback Machine
- ^ Yda Addis Storke, 1891, A Memorial and Biographical History of the Counties of Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Ventura, California, The Lewis Publishing Company: Pages 261 - 273
- ^ Charles Montville Gidney, Benjamin Brooks, Edwin M. Sheridan,1917, History of Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Ventura counties, Volume 1, The Lewis Publishing Company: Pages 322 - 323
- ^ Big Sale of Fruit Land; Seven-Thousand-Acre Ranch in California Taken by English Capitalists The New York Times, March 22, 1902
- ^ Rancho Santa Clara del Norte Sold The Deseret News , March 21, 1902
- ^ East of El Rio, on the east side of Los Angeles Avenue (Highway 118) at the end of Rose Avenue.
- ^ http://www.laokay.com/Adobes-Historic_Ventura.htm laokay: Historic Ventura Adobes . 8/28/2010
Coordinates: 34°16′48″N 119°07′12″W / 34.280°N 119.120°W