|Comune di Rignano Flaminio|
The ancient Via Flaminia.
Location of Rignano Flaminio in Italy
Rignano Flaminio (Lazio)
|Metropolitan city||Rome (RM)|
|Frazioni||Capannacce, Case Morolo, Montelarco, Santo Sisini, Valle Spadana|
|• Mayor||Fabio Di Lorenzi|
|• Total||38.56 km2 (14.89 sq mi)|
|Elevation||250 m (820 ft)|
(30 November 2016)
|• Density||270/km2 (690/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
It has a station on the Roma-Viterbo railway.
Agricultural settlements of the Capenati and Falisci in the area are attested from the 5th or 4th centuries BC. In the 6th century AD a popular pilgrimage church, entitled to St. Abondius and Abondantius, was created here; the saints' relics were moved to Rome, on the Tiber Island, in 999. In 1159 Pope Adrian IV died at Rignano.
Rignano was first a possession of Santa Maria in Trastevere and then of the Savelli family, who were shortly ousted by Pope Alexander VI. After the fall of the Borgia, the Savelli regained it and held the fief until 1607, when they sold it to the Borghese. It later passed to the Muti, the Cesi and the Massimo families.