Robert Taylor Jones
|6th Governor of Arizona|
January 2, 1939 – January 6, 1941
|Preceded by||Rawghlie C. Stanford|
|Succeeded by||Sidney P. Osborn|
|Born||February 8, 1884|
Rutledge, Tennessee, U.S.
|Died||June 11, 1958 (aged 74)|
Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.
He was born in Rutledge, Tennessee, to Samuel Joseph and Sara Elizabeth (Legg) Jones. His father was an American Civil War veteran from the Union side who was active in politics and in the affairs of his community.
Jones was educated in the Tennessee public schools, He began his career as a self-taught practical engineer, while still in his teens. He was involved in the building of a railroad through eastern Tennessee. The experience which he obtained was to his benefit when he went into business for himself as a small contractor. He participated in the construction of the Panama Canal for one year as a civil engineer.
When Jones returned to the United States, he went to live in Los Angeles. Later he became involved in the construction of a railroad from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City.
In 1909, he came to the territory of Arizona and worked with the Globe and Gila Valley railroad. That year Jones met Elon Armstrong of Winkelman, Arizona, daughter of W. T. Armstrong, a pioneer Arizona cattleman and a one-time sheriff of Gila County. They were married in 1911 and purchased a house at 300 Main Street, in the town of Superior where they settled down. The couple had two children: Kathryn and Albert Claude.
On January 2, 1939, Jones became the 6th Governor of Arizona. He served as governor for one year until January 6, 1941, as a member of the Democratic Party. Prior to his becoming governor, Jones served as a State Senator from Maricopa County in the 13th Arizona State Legislature during 1937–1938.
Jones returned to his drug store business, however in 1953, he left the drug store business and started the Jones Western Wear store in Phoenix at 101 E. Washington, where his Phoenix pharmacy used to be. He also owned a cattle ranch near Chandler.
His house in Superior was converted into the Bob Jones Museum in March 1994. The displays in the museum are focused on local artifacts and include exhibits of photographs, mining equipment and geological samples.