Archdiocese of Sant’Angelo dei Lombardi-Conza-Nusco-Bisaccia
Archidioecesis Sancti Angeli de Lombardis-Compsana-Nuscana-Bisaciensis
Cathedral in Conza della Campania
|Area||1,290 km2 (500 sq mi)|
- Catholics (including non-members)
|(as of 2006)|
|Cathedral||Cattedrale di S. Michele Arcangelo (Sant’Angelo dei Lombardi)|
|Co-cathedral||Concattedrale della Natività della Vergine Maria (Bisaccia)|
Concattedrale di S. Maria Assunta (Conza di Campania)
Concattedrale di S. Stefano (Nusco)
The Italian Catholic Archdiocese of Sant’Angelo dei Lombardi-Conza-Nusco-Bisaccia (Latin: Archidioecesis Sancti Angeli de Lombardis-Compsana-Nuscana-Bisaciensis), in Campania, has existed since 1986. It is a suffragan of the archdiocese of Benevento.
The archdiocese of Conza existed from the eighth century to 1986, latterly as the archdiocese of Conza-Campagna (from 1818 to 1921) and the archdiocese of Conza-Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi-Bisaccia (from 1921 to 1986). After 1986 it became part of the archdiocese of Sant’Angelo dei Lombardi-Conza-Nusco-Bisaccia. The current archdiocese therefore has incorporated, with Conza, the diocese of Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi-Bisaccia and the diocese of Nusco.
Conza, a city of the province of Avellino, Southern Italy, was twice destroyed by earthquakes (980, 1694), and was at one time nearly abandoned. The first known Bishop of Conza is Pelagius, who was present at the Roman synod of 743 held under Pope Zachary.
The see was raised to the rank of an archbishopric under Pope Alexander II or Pope Gregory VII (i.e. between 1061 and 1085), having previously been a suffragan of the archdiocese of Salerno. Among the bishops was the Blessed Erberto (1169). The bishops resided either in their feudal stronghold of Santomenna, at Campagna, or at Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi, the later episcopal residence.
The diocese of Campagna was erected by Clement VII, 19 June 1525; the see was vacant from 1793 to 1818, when it was placed under Conza. It became independent of Conza in 1921, and was united to the archdiocese of Salerno-Conza-Acerno in 1986.
Erected: 8th Century
Latin Name: Compsana
Elevated: 11th Century
Latin Name: Compsana
United: 27 June 1818 with the Diocese of Satriano e Campagna
Latin Name: Compsana et Campaniensis
United: 30 September 1921 with the Diocese of Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi e Bisaccia
Territory Lost: 30 September 1921 to form the Diocese of Campagna
Latin Name: Compsana-Sancti Angeli de Lombardis-Bisaciensis
United: 30 September 1986 with the Diocese of Nusco
Latin Name: Sancti Angeli de Lombardis-Compsana-Nuscana-Bisaciensis