|Standing NATO Maritime Group 2|
|Allegiance||North Atlantic Treaty Organization|
Standing NATO Maritime Group 2 (SNMG2) is a North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) standing maritime immediate reaction force. SNMG2 consists of four to six destroyers and frigates. Its role is to provide NATO with an immediate operational response capability.
Standing Naval Force Mediterranean (STANAVFORMED) was activated on 30 April 1992, at Naples, Italy. STANAVFORMED was the successor to the NATO Naval On-Call Force Mediterranean (NAVOCFORMED) – which had been periodically activated for more than 20 years.
During the 1990s, STANAVFORMED was heavily involved in Operation Maritime Monitor (July 1992 to November 1992), Operation Maritime Guard (November 1992 to June 1993) and Operation Sharp Guard (June 1993 to October 1996), the maritime embargo operations in the Adriatic Sea established to ensure compliance by Serbia and Montenegro with United Nations (UN) resolutions 713, 715, 787, 820 and 943. Between November 1992 and June 1996 some 74,000 ships were challenged, almost 6,000 were inspected at sea and more than 1,400 were diverted and inspected in port.
On 6 October 2001, STANAVFORMED deployed to the Eastern Mediterranean Sea in support of Operation Active Endeavour, NATO's maritime contribution to prevent the movement of terrorists or weapons of mass destruction.
The force was re-designated Standing NATO Maritime Group 2 in January 2005.
From June 2009 to August 2009 SNMG2 was deployed by NATO off the Somali coast to conduct Operation Allied Protector, to deter, defend and protect World Food Programme (WFP) vessels against the threat of piracy and armed robbery, thereby allowing WFP to fulfill its mission of providing humanitarian aid.
The ships as of 30 April 2020 consist of:
- (flagship) Bergamini-class frigate, Virginio Fasan
- Barbaros-class frigate, TCG Salihreis
- Elli-class frigate, HS Nikiforos Fokas
- La Combattante IIIb-class fast attack craft, HS Degiannis
- Osprey 55-class gunboat, HS Navmachos
- Tuzla-class patrol boat, TCG Karadeniz Eregli
- Berlin-class replenishment ship, Berlin
- Standing NATO Maritime Group 1
- Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group 1
- Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group 2
- "Maritime Groups". NATO. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Standing Naval Force Mediterranean". Hansard. 20 May 1992. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Operation Sharp Guard". NATO. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Operation Active Endeavour". Global Security. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- Bekkevold, Jo Inge; Till, Geoffrey (2016). International Order at Sea: How it is challenged. How it is maintained. Palgrave Macmillan. p. 136. ISBN 978-1137586629.
- Counter-piracy Operations. North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Retrieved: 27 December 2013.
- Operation Ocean Shield Archived 2011-05-13 at the Wayback Machine
- "Standing NATO Maritime Group Two". NATO: Allied Maritime Command. Retrieved 12 July 2018.
- "Maritime-Groups". mc.nato.int. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- Official web page