St. Eusebius (in English)
Sancti Eusebii (in Latin)
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||Titular church|
The church is first mentioned in 474, by an inscription in the catacombs of Saints Marcellino e Pietro ad duas Lauros, and recorded as the Titulus Eusebii in the acts of the 499 synod. It was consecrated "in honorem beatorum Eusebii et Vincentii" by Pope Gregory IX, after the restoration of 1238. The Romanesque style, dating back to this restoration, survived to the restorations of the 17th, 18th, and 20th centuries.
The interior is separated into a nave with two flanking aisles. The present design dates to 1600 work by Onorio Longhi, who restored the presbytery, main altar, and choir. The ceiling fresco is a neoclassical masterpiece of Anton Raphael Mengs depicting the Glory of Sant'Eusebio (1757). Other paintings in the church are attributed to Giuseppe Passeri (central nave window), Andreas Ruthart (choir), Baldassarre Croce (Jesus, Mary, and Saints near the main altar), Cesare Rossetti (Crucifix at the main altar facing choir), Pompeo Batoni (Madonna and Bambino near main altar) and Francesco Solimena.
The main altar has custody of the relics of St Eusebius of Rome, who is supposed to have commissioned and financed construction of the church in the 4th century. The church is supposedly built on the site of his house.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sant'Eusebio all'Esquilino.|