A post office called Silverton was established in 1892, and remained in operation until 1945. Silverton was named by the local miners. The Silverton Ranger District, a unit of the Mount Baker National Forest, was established in 1908 and closed in 1936 before the completion of the Mountain Loop Highway. The ranger station was re-used for an educational nature camp, named Camp Silverton, that was operated by private groups and Everett Public Schools until 1997. The camp was demolished in 2019.