|• Type||Municipal Corporation|
|• Body||Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-MH|
The Marathi and official name for Sion is Sheev. Sion is a neighbourhood of Mumbai. In the 17th century the village formed the boundary between Mumbai and Salsette Island. The British named it marking the end of the city. The name remained even after Mumbai was joined to the Salsette and extended up to Mulund. One of the local historical places in Sion is a hilltop garden commonly known as Sion Fort or Sheevon Killa in the Marathi language.
In 1543, the Portuguese took possession of the largely uninhabited islands of Bombay, naming it Sião, after a biblical hill in Israel. The Portuguese gave the Jesuit priests the sole ownership of some of these islands. The Jesuits then built a chapel on the hill near the present-day railway station and named it after Mount Zion (Sion) in Jerusalem.
Sion is also a home to many educational institutes, namely: