on 12 April 1961, became the first human in outer space and the first to orbit the Earth. A Soviet stamp issued after the Gagarin's flight
Soviet space exploration history has been well documented on Soviet stamps. These Soviet stamps cover a broad spectrum of subjects related to the Soviet space program. While much of the focus has been placed on the nation's notable "firsts" in space flight, including: Earth orbiting satellite, Sputnik 1; animal in space, the dog Laika on Sputnik 2; human in space and Earth orbit, Yuri Gagarin on Vostok 1; first spacewalk, Alexei Leonov on Voskhod 2; woman in space, Valentina Tereshkova on Vostok 6; Moon impact, 1959, and uncrewed landing; space station; and interplanetary probe; numerous stamps have paid tribute to more general astronomical topics as well.
- Gurevich, Iakov Borisovich and Vladimir Il'ich Shcherbakov. Kosmicheskaia filateliia: katalog-spravochnik. Moscow: Radio i sviaz, 1986, 126p.
- Kvasnikov, IU. S. Rossiiskaia kosmonavtika na pochtovykh markakh 1951-1995. Moscow: Novosti Kosmonavtiki?, 1996, 154p.
- Kvasnikov, Yuri. Russian Cosmonautics On Postage Stamps. Falkirk: Astro Space Stamp Society, 1999, 35p.
- Reichman, James G. Soviet and Russian philatelic items related to dogs in space. Mesa, Arizona, James G. Reichman, 2012, 97p.
- Sashenkov, Evgeniĭ Petrovich. Sovetskaia kosmonavtika v filatelii: katalog-spravochnik. Moscow: Glavnaia Filatelisticheskaia kontora, Soiuzpechati Ministerstva sviazi SSSR, 1967, 138p.
- ^ Michel (2006). Sowjetunion-Spezial-Katalog 2005/06. Schwaneberger Verlag. Retrieved 14 September 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ^ Scott (2010). 2011 Scott Standard Postage Stamp Catalogue. 5. Amos Advantage. Retrieved 14 September 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Russian Topical Stamps: Cosmos". Topical. Postage Stamps and Stationery of Russia and USSR. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "What Does It Say?". Philatelic Snippets. Astro Space Stamp Society. Retrieved 21 May 2012.
- "Exploring the Moon on stamps". Retrieved 26 December 2011.