S-56 on display in Vladivostok
|Laid down:||24 November 1936|
|Launched:||25 December 1939|
|Commissioned:||20 October 1941|
|Decommissioned:||14 March 1955|
|Fate:||Stricken on 9 May 1975 and became a museum ship at Vladivostok (Korabelnaya embankment)|
|Class and type:||Soviet S-class submarine|
|Length:||77.8 m (255 ft 3 in)|
|Beam:||6.4 m (21 ft 0 in)|
|Draught:||4.4 m (14 ft 5 in)|
|Test depth:||100 m (330 ft)|
|Complement:||50 officers and men|
S-56 was a Stalinets-class submarine of the Soviet Navy. She was laid down by shipyard #194 in Leningrad on 24 November 1936, shipped in sections by rail to Vladivostok where it was reassembled by Dalzavod. She was launched on 25 December 1939 and commissioned on 20 October 1941 in the Pacific Fleet. During World War II, the submarine was under the command of Captain Grigori Shchedrin and was moved from the Pacific Fleet to the Northern fleet across the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans via the Panama Canal. After decommissioning, the submarine was turned into a museum ship.
|17 May 1943||Eurostadt||1118 GRT||tanker (torpedo)|
|17 July 1943||M-346||551 GRT||minesweeper (torpedo)|
|19 July 1943||NKi-09/Alane||466 GRT||patrol vessel (torpedo)|
|31 January 1944||Heinrich Schulte||5056 GRT||freighter (torpedo)|
During the attack against Eurostadt, another torpedo hit and damaged the German freighter Wartheland (3676 GRT) but the ship was saved because the torpedo was a dud.
- "МГК ПЛ "С-56"". 2011-02-08. Retrieved 2017-08-11.
- "S-56 of the Soviet Navy - Soviet Submarine of the S (Stalinec) class - Allied Warships of WWII". uboat.net. Retrieved 2014-08-03.
- Orlov Alex; Dmitriy Metelev; Evgeniy Chirva. "Великая Отечественная - под водой". Town.ural.ru. Archived from the original on 2014-04-30. Retrieved 2014-08-03.