The lightvessel was constructed by the Conrad wharf in Haarlem, the Netherlands, for the Ministry of Colonies of the Netherlands. It was launched in 1910 and, not being equipped with engines, was sailed to Suriname by Captain Johannes Franciscus Wijsmuller (1876-1923) in 1911.
It was used to indicate the mouth of the Suriname River.
The ship was decommissioned in 1964 and transferred to the Fort Nieuw-Amsterdam Open-Air Museum. Attempts to put the ship behind the local dikes at high tide resulted in a partial flooding of the village of Nieuw-Amsterdam.
The ship is presently in serious disrepair and in danger of being lost. Efforts of a Dutch foundation to raise money for restoring the ship have so far been unsuccessful.
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of Suriname". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "Dutch lightship is rusting away in Suriname" (in Dutch). telegraaf.nl. Retrieved 10 January 2017.