|• Total||58 km2 (22 sq mi)|
|• Land||56 km2 (22 sq mi)|
|• Density||115/km2 (300/sq mi)|
The town of Svelvik was separated from the rural municipality of Strømm to become a municipality of its own in 1845. The two municipalities were merged back together on 1 January 1964.
The Old Norse form of the name was Sverðvík. The first element is sverð n 'sword', the last element is vík f 'cove, wick'. A neighbouring farm has the name Sverstad (Norse Sverðstaðir). The word sverð probably refers to the promontory ridge Ryggen ('the back') in Hurum: This ridge lies right opposite Svelvik and Sverstad, and is almost (like a sword) cutting the Drammensfjord in two parts.
The village is quite characteristic, with small winding streets and traditional, white-painted houses. Svelvik has many venues for swimming and sunbathing.
Svelvik churchis a long church from 1859 with seating for 450.
Fra fjorden, januar 2009, by Håvard Selby Ebbestad
Oktoberkveld ved Svelvikstrømmen, by Håvard Selby Ebbestad