The AJN is descended from The Hebrew Standard of Australasia, which was first published on 1 November 1895 in Sydney by founding editor Alfred Harris. In 1953 John Shaiak purchased the newspaper and changed its name to The Australian Jewish Times (AJT). In 1987, Richard Pratt bought the AJT and merged it with the Melbourne-based Australian Jewish News. From 1990, the newspaper has been published weekly nationally as The Australian Jewish News.
The newspaper celebrated its 100th anniversary in 1995 and launched an online edition in 2001. In July 2007 Robert Magid became the paper's new publisher.
In October 2019, the AJN became the seventh "local partner" of The Times of Israel. It is only the second local partner outside the United States, after the UK's Jewish News. The newspaper's digital presence is now integrated with The Times of Israel and the other local partners.