Location of Tobolsk
Tobolsk (Tyumen Oblast)
|Federal subject||Tyumen Oblast|
|Founded||June 14, 1587|
|Town status since||1590|
|• Body||Town Duma|
|• Head||Maksim Afanasiev|
|• Total||221.98 km2 (85.71 sq mi)|
|Elevation||90 m (300 ft)|
| • Estimate |
|• Rank||165th in 2010|
|• Density||450/km2 (1,200/sq mi)|
|• Subordinated to||Town of Tobolsk|
|• Capital of||Tobolsky District, Town of Tobolsk|
|• Urban okrug||Tobolsk Urban Okrug|
|• Capital of||Tobolsk Urban Okrug, Tobolsky Municipal District|
|Time zone||UTC+5 (MSK+2 )|
626111, 626147, 626148, 626150–626153, 626155–626159
|Dialing code(s)||+7 3456|
|Town Day||Last Sunday of June|
Tobolsk (Russian: Тобо́льск, Siberian Tatar: Pîcek-tora) is a town in Tyumen Oblast, Russia, located at the confluence of the Tobol and Irtysh rivers. Founded in 1590, Tobolsk is the second-oldest Russian settlement east of the Ural Mountains in Asian Russia, and is a historic capital of the Siberia region. Population: 99,694 (2010 Census); 92,880 (2002 Census); 94,143 (1989 Census).
In 1580, a group of Yermak Timofeyevich's Cossacks initiated the Russian conquest of Siberia, pushing eastwards on behalf of the Tsardom of Russia. They attacked the Vogul (Mansi) and Ostyak (Khanty) peoples in Yugra, and had also captured a tax collector of Kuchum Khan, the king of the large Tatar Khanate of Sibir, the most powerful force in the western Siberia region on the eastern side of the Ural Mountains. At the time the Voguls and Ostyaks were subjects of Kuchum, and in response the Tatars carried out retaliation attacks against the Cossacks.
After a year of Tatar attacks, Yermak prepared for the conquest of the Khanate of Sibir and a campaign to take the Khanate's capital city, Qashliq. The Cossacks conquered the city on 26 October 1582, sending Kuchum into retreat. Despite the conquest, Kuchum regrouped his remaining forces and formed a new army, launching a surprise attack on 6 August 1584, killing Yermak. There were a series of battles over Qashliq, and it passed between Tatar and Cossack control, before the city was finally abandoned in 1588. Kuchum was eventually defeated by the Cossacks in 1598 at the Battle of Urmin near the River Ob, ending the Khanate of Sibir. The Russians had established control over the western Siberia region.
Tobolsk was founded in 1587 by a group of Yermak's Cossacks under the command of Daniil Grigor'yevich Chulkov  Tobolsk would become the center of the conquest. To the north Beryozovo (1593) and Mangazeya (1600-01) were built to bring the Nenets under tribute, while to the east Surgut (1594) and Tara (1594) were established to protect Tobolsk and subdue the ruler of the Narym Ostiaks. Of these settlements, Mangazeya was the most prominent, and it was used as a base for further exploration eastward.near the ruins of Qashliq. It had been almost totally destroyed by years of fighting.
The new city of Tobolsk was the second Russian town founded in Siberia after Tyumen, and was named after the Tobol River. It was situated at its confluence with the Irtysh River, where the Irtysh turns from flowing westward to flowing northward. Tobolsk quickly grew based on the importance of the Siberian river routes, and prospered on trade with China to the east and with Bukhara to the south.
In 1708, Tobolsk was designated as the capital of the newly established Siberia Governorate; the first school, theater, and newspaper in Siberia were founded here. During the Great Northern War, soldiers of the defeated Swedish army at Battle of Poltava in 1709 were sent in large numbers as prisoners of war to Tobolsk. The Swedes numbered about 25% of the total population and were popular among locals for their contributions to the city. A building of the Tobolsk Kremlin was named the Swedish Chamber in their honor. Many of them were not repatriated until the 1720s, while some of them settled permanently in Tobolsk.
In 1719, Russian authorities began administrative reforms that resulted in Tobolsk's political importance declining as the Siberia Governorate's massive territory was gradually decentralized. New provinces were organized or territory was transferred to other governorates. By 1782, Siberia Governorate was abolished and its remaining area split into two viceroyalties, with Tobolsk becoming the capital of the Tobolsk Viceroyalty. In 1796, Tobolsk became the capital of Tobolsk Governorate, and remained the seat of the Governor-General of Western Siberia until the seat was moved to Omsk in the 1820s or 1830s. Acknowledging the authority of Tobolsk, many Western Siberian towns including Omsk, Tyumen, and Tomsk, had their original coat of arms display the Tobolsk insignia, which Omsk continues to honor as of 2015[update]. After the Decembrist Revolt in 1825, some of the Decembrists deported to Siberia settled in Tobolsk. In the 1890s the importance of Tobolsk declined further after the Trans-Siberian Railway line between Tyumen and Omsk bypassed the city to the south.
In the early 1900s Tobolsk was noted as the administrative center of home province of Grigori Rasputin, a faith healer who had great influence with the Romanov Imperial Family. It is located close to his birthplace Pokrovskoye. The town was also famous for confectionery companies run by Karelian immigrants.
In March 1917, the February Revolution forced the abdication of Tsar Nicholas II, ending the Russian Empire. In August the new Provisional Government evacuated the imperial family and their retinue to Tobolsk to live in the former house of the Governor-General. With the October Revolution three months later, the Russian Civil War began, and the Bolsheviks quickly came to power in Tobolsk. After troops of the opposing White Army approached the city in the spring of 1918, the Bolsheviks moved the imperial family west to Yekaterinburg. They were executed there in July 1918, together with several of their retainers.
Following the Bolshevik victory and the formation of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic, administrative reforms in 1920 resulted in the abolition of Tobolsk Governorate and the end of 218 years of Tobolsk serving as a provincial capital. Instead, the city became the administrative center of its own uyezd (county), Tobolsky District, in the new Tyumen Province. From 1921 to 1922, Tobolsk was a site of massive anti-Bolshevik peasant uprisings across Western Siberia by peasants associated with the Green Army. On November 3, 1923, the city became part of Ural Oblast; on January 7, 1932, it was transferred to Omsk Oblast. From January 17, 1934, the city was part of Obsko-Irtysh Oblast, until it was abolished on December 7 that year and transferred to Omsk Oblast. On August 14, 1944, Tobolsk was transferred to Tyumen Oblast.
A 2004 American book said a 1982 explosion in Toblosk was caused by CIA sabotage. A former KGB officer said that the explosion was caused by improper installation. On July 10, 1987, by decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR, the city of Tobolsk was awarded the Order of the Badge of Honour.
In 2013, Tobolsk-Polymer opened the largest polypropylene production facility in Russia as part of an initiative to create a large petrochemical complex in the city. Tobolsk has also become a popular location for tourism in Siberia due to its historical importance, architecture, and natural landscapes. It is an important educational center of the Russian Orthodox Church, and the seat of Tobolsk Diocese, the first Orthodox diocese in Siberia.
Within the framework of administrative divisions, Tobolsk serves as the administrative center of Tobolsky District, even though it is not a part of it. As an administrative division, it is, together with one urban-type settlement, incorporated separately as the Town of Tobolsk—an administrative unit with the status equal to that of the districts. As a municipal division, the Town of Tobolsk is incorporated as Tobolsk Urban Okrug.
The economy of modern Tobolsk centers on a major oil refinery and the petrochemical industry. Some traditional crafts, such as bone-carving, are also preserved. The main factory of the town and Tyumen oblast' is Sibur holding. It is also the biggest employer of the region.
Tobolsk has a humid continental climate (Köppen climate classification Dfb) bordering on a subarctic climate (Köppen climate classification Dfc). Winters are very cold with average temperatures from −21.6 °C (−6.9 °F) to −12.7 °C (9.1 °F) in January, while summers are mild with average temperatures from +13.8 to +23.9 °C (56.8 to 75.0 °F). Precipitation is moderate and is somewhat higher in summer than at other times of the year.
|Climate data for Tobolsk|
|Record high °C (°F)||5.5
|Average high °C (°F)||−12.7
|Daily mean °C (°F)||−17.1
|Average low °C (°F)||−21.6
|Record low °C (°F)||−48.5
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||23
|Average rainy days||1||0.2||3||10||13||16||16||20||20||14||4||1||118.2|
|Average snowy days||22||17||13||6||2||0||0||0||0.4||6||17||22||105.4|
|Average relative humidity (%)||81||77||72||65||62||66||73||78||79||79||82||81||75|
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||61||114||177||217||265||288||298||225||156||92||60||42||1,995|
|Source 1: pogoda.ru.net|
|Source 2: NOAA (sun only, 1961-1990)|
Ethnic composition (2010)::
Tobolsk is the only town in Siberia and one of the few in Russia which has a standing stone kremlin (Tobolsk Kremlin): an elaborate city-fortress from the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries. Its white walls and towers with an ensemble of churches and palatial buildings spectacularly sited on a high river bank were proclaimed a national historical and architectural treasure in 1870.
The principal monuments in the kremlin are the Cathedral of St. Sophia (1683–1686), a merchant courtyard (1703–1705), an episcopal palace (1773–1775; now a museum of local lore), and the so-called Swedish Chamber, with six baroque halls (1713–1716). The town contains some remarkable baroque and Neoclassical churches from the 18th and 19th centuries. Also noteworthy is a granite monument to Yermak, constructed to a design by Alexander Brullov in 1839. The town's vicinity is rich in ancient kurgans and pagan shrines, some of which date back to the 10th century BCE.
The Governor's Mansion, built in 1790, is a historical monument protected by the Russian federal government. It is built in the architectural style of classicism and one of the first stone buildings built in the city. It is best known as having housed the last Tsar, Nicholas II, and his family after he abdicated the throne they were sent to exile by the Bolsheviks. The family was later moved to Yekaterinburg where they were later slaughtered.
Tobolsk is twinned with:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tobolsk.|