Twyford Wood, formerly known as Twyford Forest, is a commercial wood around grid reference in Lincolnshire owned by the Forestry Commission, England, an agency of the British Government and managed by its subsidiary, Forest Enterprise (England).
|Type||Commercial conifer plantation|
|Area||481 acres (195 ha)|
|Elevation||122 metres (400 ft)|
|Operated by||Forest Enterprise|
|Plants||Green winged orchid|
A woodland had existed before the Second World War, covering approximately 60 hectares (150 acres). During the war, much of the land beyond this was developed from 1943 onwards as RAF North Witham. This was used operationally by the United States USAAF. At the end of air hostilities in Europe, the USAAF handed the site back to the Royal Air Force, who used the site as a bomb-collection dump, from which ordnance was then dispatched for disposal.
At the end of hostilities of the Second World War, the woodland and RAF site were taken over by the Forestry Commission in 1945. In the 1950s, they redeveloped all of their woodlands holdings in the River Trent valley with Scots and Corsican pine for use by local industry, leaving the original Quercus robur oaks on the original woodland in place.
The soil association is 712g Ragdale. Chalky till; slowly permeable seasonally waterlogged clayey and fine loamy over clayey soil. Boulder clay over upper Lincolnshire limestone.
There is a small car park, with access from the A151. The wood is used for off-road motor sport.