USS Locator (AGR-6), under way, date and location unknown.
|Name||Frank O. Peterson|
|Namesake||Frank O. Peterson|
|Owner||War Shipping Administration (WSA)|
|Operator||International Freigting Corp.|
|Ordered||as type (EC2-S-C5) hull, MC hull 2347|
|Builder||J.A. Jones Construction, Panama City, Florida|
|Laid down||9 February 1945|
|Launched||23 March 1945|
|Sponsored by||Mrs. Evelyn Flynn|
|Completed||6 April 1945|
|Fate||Placed in the, National Defense Reserve Fleet, 8 October 1947|
|Status||Acquired by US Navy, 10 June 1955|
|Namesake||One who discovers a position|
|Commissioned||21 January 1956|
|Decommissioned||9 August 1965|
|Reclassified||Guardian-class radar picket ship|
|Refit||Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston, South Carolina|
|Stricken||1 September 1965|
|Fate||Placed in National Defense Reserve Fleet, Hudson River Reserve Fleet, Jones Point, New York, 1 September 1965|
|Status||Sold for scrapping, 4 January 1975|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type|
|Beam||57 feet (17 m)|
|Draft||27 ft 9.25 in (8.4646 m)|
|Speed||11.5 knots (21.3 km/h; 13.2 mph)|
|Capacity||490,000 cubic feet (13,875 m3) (bale)|
|General characteristics (US Navy refit)|
|Class and type||Guardian-class radar picket ship|
|Armament||2 × 3 inches (76 mm)/50 caliber guns|
USS Locator (AGR/YAGR-6) was a Guardian-class radar picket ship, converted from a Liberty Ship, acquired by the US Navy in 1955. She was obtained from the National Defense Reserve Fleet and reconfigured as a radar picket ship and assigned to radar picket duty in the North Pacific Ocean as part of the Distant Early Warning Line.
Locator (YAGR-6) was laid down on 9 February 1945, under a Maritime Commission (MARCOM) contract, MC hull 2347, as the Liberty Ship Frank O. Peterson, by J.A. Jones Construction, Panama City, Florida. She was launched 23 March 1945, sponsored by Mrs. Evelyn Flynn, and delivered on 6 April 1945, to International Freigting Corp..
She was acquired by the Navy from the US Maritime Administration (MARAD) on 10 June 1955. She was converted to a radar picket ship at the Charleston Naval Shipyard, Charleston, South Carolina, and commissioned Locator on 21 January 1956, Lieutenant Commander Frank Arthur Wigner, USN, in command.
Departing Charleston, 21 February, Locator steamed through the Panama Canal, and arrived San Francisco, California, 17 March. After a period of repair and training she was assigned to a radar picket station off the US West Coast. Coordinating operations with the Continental and North American Air Defense Commands, she detected, tracked, and reported all air contacts that came within her radar surveillance.
Locator was reclassified AGR-6 on 28 September 1958, and for the next 7 years continued the constant vigil at sea, ever ready to sound the signal of enemy air attack. Her operations at sea were alternated by in-port replenishment periods at San Francisco.
After contributing 9 years to the defense of the United States. Locator decommissioned at San Francisco, 9 August 1965. Her name was struck from the Naval Register 1 September 1965, and was sold for scrapping, 4 January 1975.
Scanner's crew was eligible for the following medals: