|Builder:||Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Hingham, Massachusetts|
|Laid down:||14 July 1944|
|Launched:||15 August 1944|
|Commissioned:||9 September 1944|
|2 × battle star|
|Status:||Laid up in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Green Cove Springs, Florida|
|Namesake:||Maricopa County, Arizona|
|Commissioned:||14 December 1951|
|Decommissioned:||29 February 1956|
|Renamed:||Maricopa County, 1 July 1955|
|Stricken:||1 June 1962|
|Fate:||Laid up in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Green Cove Springs, Florida|
|Status:||Transferred to South Vietnam, 12 July 1962|
|Namesake:||City of Da Nang|
|Acquired:||12 July 1962|
|Identification:||Hull symbol: HQ-501|
|Captured:||Democratic Republic of Vietnam, 29 April 1975|
|Socialist Republic of Vietnam|
|Name:||Trần Khánh Dư|
|Namesake:||Prince Trần Khánh Dư|
|Acquired:||29 April 1975|
|Identification:||Hull symbol: HQ-501|
|Fate:||Active in service as of 2003|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type:||LST-542-class tank landing ship|
|Length:||328 ft (100 m) oa|
|Beam:||50 ft (15 m)|
|Speed:||11.6 kn (21.5 km/h; 13.3 mph)|
|Range:||24,000 nmi (44,000 km; 28,000 mi) at 9 kn (17 km/h; 10 mph) while displacing 3,960 long tons (4,024 t)|
|Boats & landing |
|2 x LCVPs|
|Capacity:||1,600–1,900 short tons (3,200,000–3,800,000 lb; 1,500,000–1,700,000 kg) cargo depending on mission|
|Troops:||16 officers, 147 enlisted men|
|Complement:||13 officers, 104 enlisted men|
USS Maricopa County (LST-938) was an LST-542-class tank landing ship built for the United States Navy during World War II. Like many of her class, she was not named and is properly referred to by her hull designation. She was later named after Maricopa County, Arizona, she was the only US Naval vessel to bear the name.
LST-938 was laid down on 14 July 1944, at Hingham, Massachusetts, by the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard; launched on 15 August 1944; and commissioned on 9 September 1944, with Ensign Howard W. Limes in command.
After completing her shakedown in Chesapeake Bay, she was assigned to the 7th Fleet. With LCT-1210 aboard, she departed New York on 18 October 1944, and rendezvoused with a convoy near Guantánamo en route the South Pacific. Pausing briefly in the New Hebrides, LST-938 sailed on to Seeadler Harbor, Admiralty Islands, and commenced unloading on 16 December.
On 10 March, elements of the 41st Infantry Division were put ashore at Zamboanga on the southwest tip of Mindanao. Further south an invasion was pending and on 28 April, LST-938 departed Leyte and steamed to Cairns, Australia. Illustrating the cooperative nature of the war effort, LST-938 transported elements of the Australian 7th Infantry Division to the assault beaches at Balikpapan, Borneo, Dutch East Indies. Unscathed after the landing operations of 1 July, and the follow-up resupply missions, she returned to the Philippines on 27 July.
As the war ended, the ship embarked occupation troops and discharged them at Tokyo on 15 September. LST-938 continued to serve in the Japanese occupation until 30 November. Her next assignment placed her on duty along the China coast until 13 May 1946. The ship then departed Tsingtao and returned to the United States.
From her arrival on the east coast on 12 July 1946, until December 1949, LST-938 served as Naval Reserve training ship first at Bayonne, New Jersey, and later at Gulfport, Mississippi. She was deactivated at Green Cove Springs, Florida, where she was decommissioned and assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
War in Korea saw her reactivated, and she was recommissioned 14 December 1951, with Lieutenant Howard W. Childress in command. LST-938 was based at the Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base, Virginia, and served as a Marine Corps training ship. During the next 4½ years she carried out operations from Greenland to the Caribbean area.
On 1 July 1955 she was named Maricopa County.
Following an inactivation overhaul at New York she reached Green Cove Springs on 2 December 1955, and decommissioned on 29 February 1956. Late in October 1961 Maricopa County was towed to Philadelphia Navy Yard and prepared for a new career.