|Name||Raymond Van Brogen|
|Namesake||Raymond Van Brogen|
|Owner||War Shipping Administration (WSA)|
|Operator||A.H.Bull & Co.Inc.|
|Ordered||as type (EC2-S-C5) hull, MC hull 2339|
|Builder||J.A. Jones Construction, Panama City, Florida|
|Laid down||14 December 1944|
|Launched||27 January 1945|
|Sponsored by||Mrs. Mary Anne Durham|
|Completed||10 February 1945|
|Fate||Placed in the, National Defense Reserve Fleet, Mobile, Alabama, 1947|
|Status||Acquired by US Navy, June 1956|
|Commissioned||5 March 1957|
|Decommissioned||3 March 1965|
|Reclassified||Guardian-class radar picket ship|
|Refit||Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania|
|Stricken||1 April 1965|
|Fate||Placed in National Defense Reserve Fleet, Hudson River Reserve Fleet, Jones Point, New York, 1 April 1965|
|Status||Sold for scrapping, 23 November 1970|
|General characteristics |
|Class and type|
|Beam||57 feet (17 m)|
|Draft||27 ft 9.25 in (8.4646 m)|
|Speed||11.5 knots (21.3 km/h; 13.2 mph)|
|Capacity||490,000 cubic feet (13,875 m3) (bale)|
|General characteristics (US Navy refit)|
|Class and type||Guardian-class radar picket ship|
|Armament||2 × 3 inches (76 mm)/50 caliber guns|
USS Vigil (AGR/YAGR-12) was a Guardian-class radar picket ship, converted from a Liberty Ship, acquired by the US Navy in 1956. She was reconfigured as a radar picket ship and assigned to radar picket duty in the North Atlantic Ocean as part of the Distant Early Warning Line.
Vigil (YAGR-12) was laid down on 14 December 1944, under a Maritime Commission (MARCOM) contract, MC hull 2339, as the Liberty Ship Raymond Van Brogan, by J.A. Jones Construction, Panama City, Florida. She was launched 27 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Mary Anne Durham, wife of manager machinery JAJCC; and delivered 10 February 1945, to the War Shipping Administration.
Following a shakedown cruise in the Gulf of Mexico, the ship transited the Panama Canal, on 19 February, and headed for Terminal Island, California, where she was turned over to A.H.Bull & Co.Inc., for operation under contract to the War Shipping Administration.
Following the end of World War II, the War Shipping Administration transferred her contract to the Waterman Steamship Corporation, which firm operated her from Mobile, Alabama. In the summer of 1947, Raymond Van Brogan was taken out of service and berthed with the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Mobile.
Nine years later, in June 1956, she was brought out of the US Maritime Commission's (MARCOM) reserve fleet for conversion to a radar picket ship and active service with the Navy. She was moved to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where she completed her conversion at the naval shipyard.
On 7 August 1956, she received a new name and her Navy hull designation to become Vigil (YAGR-12). She completed conversion early in 1957, and was placed in service on 5 March 1957, Lieutenant Commander Stanley Abstetar, USNR, in command.
During Vigil's eight-year naval career, she was assigned to the Continental Air Defense Command (CONAD) and served as one of that organization's radar picket ships operating as seaward extensions of its radar coverage system. The ship operated out of Davisville, Rhode Island, during her entire period of service, and spent on the average of 200 days per year actually engaged in picket patrols in waters off the coast of New England.
On 28 September 1958, she was redesignated AGR-12, thereby dropping her yard craft designation and becoming a commissioned auxiliary.
On 3 March 1965, Vigil was placed out of commission. Her name was struck from the Navy List on 1 April 1965, and she was returned to the MARCOM for lay up with the Hudson River Reserve Fleet, Jones Point, New York. On 23 November 1970, she was sold to the Spanish firm, Revalorizacion de Materiales, for scrapping.
Vigil's crew was eligible for the following medals: