|Established||1945 - The Central Technical Institute for Wireless-Communications|
1918 - The Technical Institute for Wireless-Communications
The University of Electro-communications was founded in the Azabu district, Tokyo city as the Technical Institute for Wireless-Communications by Wireless Association in 1918. The Technical Institute for Wireless-Communications was transferred to the Ministry of Communications in 1942 and renamed to the Central Technical Institute for Wireless-Communications in 1945. Following to the transfer from the Ministry of Communications to the Ministry of Education in 1948, the University of Electro-communications was established as a national university in 1949. The campus was moved to the city of Chōfu, Tokyo in 1957. The university has been run by the National University Corporation since 2004.
The school symbol was set in 1949. The design shows a Lissajous figure of the frequency ratio ob 5 to 6 with Kanji character "学" which means "University". The frequency ratio ob 5 to 6 means the commercial power frequency of 50 Hz (eastern Japan) and 60 Hz (western Japan), and indicates Japan-wide harmonization. The meaning of school symbol is common with that of school name which is "to establish an university which is open to all over Japan, by call it by a name without any geographical name".
|Regional – Overall|
|THE Asia||801-1000 (2017)|