|Latin: Schola Marpurgensis|
|Established||1 July 1527|
|Chancellor||Dr. Thoralf Held|
|President||Katharina Krause [de]|
|Affiliations||Compostela Group of Universities|
The Philipps University of Marburg (German: Philipps-Universität Marburg) was founded in 1527 by Philip I, Landgrave of Hesse, which makes it one of Germany's oldest universities and the oldest still operating Protestant university in the world. It is now a public university of the state of Hesse, without religious affiliation. The University of Marburg has about 23,500 students and 7,500 employees and is located in Marburg, a town of 76,000 inhabitants, with university buildings dotted in or around the town centre. About 14 per cent of the students are international, the highest percentage in Hesse. It offers an International summer university programme and offers student exchanges through the Erasmus programme.
Marburg is home to one of Germany's most traditional medical faculties. The German physicians' union is called Marburger Bund.
In 1609, the University of Marburg established the world's first professorship in chemistry. In 2012 it opened the first German interactive chemistry museum, called Chemicum. Its experimental course programme is aimed at encouraging young people to pursue careers in science. The University was among the first in Germany to offer courses in Gender studies.
20 professors were expelled in 1933, among them Wilhelm Röpke who emigrated and Hermann Jacobsohn who committed suicide.
Since the 1970s especially the Department of Social Sciences is regarded as a leftist stronghold, with Wolfgang Abendroth being a major influence within the field of political science in post-war Germany.
The university is significant for its life sciences research, but is also home to one of the few centers that conduct research on the middle east, the CNMS (center for near and middle eastern studies). The departments of psychology and geography reached Excellence Group status in the Europe-wide CHE Excellence Ranking 2009.
Its research is illustrated by its participation in several SFBs (Sonderforschungsbereiche). These collaborative research centres are financed by the German Science Foundation DFG. They encourage researchers to cross the boundaries of disciplines, institutes, departments and faculties within the participating university. The current SFB at Philipps-University Marburg are:
|Global – Overall|
|QS World||551–600|
For 2020–21 the university was ranked as 28th nationally and 369th worldwide.
Department for Economic Studies
Department of Psychology
The Lahnberge Campus is dedicated to the natural sciences. The image shows the Multiple Purpose Building, home of the Departments of Mathematics and Computer Science, as well as laboratories for research into material sciences and physical chemistry
The building of the nearby Biology Department is of the same architectural style
The University Hospital along with the Department for Medical Studies is also located at the Lahnberge Campus
The Old University, housing the university church, the department for religious studies and a representative lecture hall
The administrative headquarters of the university
The Central Lecture Hall Building, which has been built to cater for the increased number of students
University of Marburg - Department of Social Sciences and former University library
One of the two large university cafeterias and canteens is located on the bank of the Lahn river
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Philipps-Universität Marburg.|