View of the Venetian Causeway from Downtown Miami, east toward Miami Beach.
|Locale||Miami to Miami Beach|
|Heritage status||NRHP (1989)|
|Preceded by||Collins Bridge|
|Total length||2.8 miles (4.5 km)|
|Longest span||0.4 miles (0.64 km)|
|Designer||Harvey Stanley, Raymond Concrete Pile Co.|
|NRHP reference No.||89000852|
|Added to NRHP||July 13, 1989|
The Venetian Causeway crosses Biscayne Bay between Miami on the mainland and Miami Beach on a barrier island in south Florida. The man-made Venetian Islands and non-bridge portions of the causeway were created by materials which came from the dredging of the bay. The Venetian Causeway follows the original route of the Collins Bridge, a wooden 2.5 mi (4 km) long structure built in 1913 by John S. Collins and Carl G. Fisher which opened up the barrier island for unprecedented growth and development.
The causeway has two bascule bridges.
At the Downtown/Western Beginning of the causeway travelers are greeted by two columns vertically saying "VENETIAN WAY" along with a sign indicating that there is a weight limit .
At the South Beach/Eastern Terminus, drivers must choose whether to go north onto Dade Boulevard or eastbound onto 17th Street to Ocean Drive, Collins Ave/A1A, Lincoln Road, City Hall, The Convention Center, Jackie Gleason Theater and the beach .
The Venetian Causeway was re-dedicated in 1999 after the completion of a $29 million restoration and replacement project.
A popular use of the causeway is for exercising, including both jogging and bicycling.
The westernmost of the two drawbridges on the causeway, with its draw span opened for a boat
View from water level towards Miami Beach
View towards Miami Beach
The Venetian Causeway viewed from former site of The Miami Herald
Entrance to Venetian Causeway from Miami side
Column with Sign
Bridge detail, lamps and railing
Entrance to Venetian Causeway with Columns view towards southeast
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Venetian Causeway.|