|Visconti di Modrone|
|Parent family||Visconti of Milan|
|Titles||Duke of Modrone |
Duke of Grazzano Visconti
Marquess of Vimodrone
Count of Lonate Pozzolo
The Visconti di Modrone are a collateral branch of the Visconti of Milan. The branch originated in the 17th century and still exists today.
During the last two centuries, a number of members of the lineage have achieved prominence in different domains of public life including theatre and cinema director Luchino Visconti.
The Visconti di Modrone descend from Uberto, younger brother of Matteo Visconti, Lord of Milan between 1287 and 1322. Since the main residence of the first generations of Uberto's offspring was in the castle of Somma Lombardo, they were known by the surname of Visconti di Somma.
In 1473, the castle and other family properties were divided by the two brothers Francesco and Guido Visconti di Somma. In 1683, Niccolò Visconti, a descendant of Guido, married Teresa Modroni, originating the Visconti di Modrone lineage.
The origins of the Visconti di Modrone can be recognised in their current peerages. The title of Count of Lonate Pozzolo traces back to the properties and noble rights in Lonate Pozzolo, a few kilometres south of Somma Lombardo, received by Guido Visconti di Somma in the division with his brother Francesco.
In 1778, Francesco Antonio Visconti di Modrone, grandson of Niccolò, obtained the title of Marquess of Vimodrone. In 1813, the title of Duke Visconti di Modrone was granted by Napoleon to Carlo Visconti di Modrone (1770–1836).
Between 1884 and 1890, a family mausoleum was erected at Cassago Brianza. Its appearance, inspired by the dome and the spires of the Milan Cathedral, has become part of the local landscape. During the 19th and 20th centuries, industrial undertakings were started by different family members around Milan: silk production in Canegrate, a weaving plant in San Vittore Olona, a bleaching factory in Somma Lombardo, and a cotton mill in Vaprio d'Adda.
At the beginning of the 20th century, Giuseppe Visconti di Modrone (1879–1941), the father of Luchino Visconti, renovated a group of hovels and old stables surrounding the family castle located 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) from Piacenza in the municipality of Vigolzone, transforming them into a village of Middle Age aspect named Grazzano Visconti. In 1937, the title of Duke of Grazzano Visconti was granted to Giuseppe Visconti by King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy.
Some members of this branch were: