Vonitsa (Greek: Βόνιτσα) is a town in the northwestern part of Aetolia-Acarnania in Greece, seat of the municipality of Aktio-Vonitsa. Population 4,916 (2011). The beach town is situated on the south coast of the Ambracian Gulf, and is dominated by a Venetian fortress on a hill. Vonitsa is 13 kilometres (8 miles) southeast of Preveza, 18 kilometres (11 miles) northeast of Lefkada (city) and 90 kilometres (56 miles) northwest of Agrinio. The Greek National Road 42 (Lefkada - Amfilochia) passes through Vonitsa.
|Administrative region||West Greece|
|• Population||4,916 (2011)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Vonitsa is built near the site of ancient Anactorium, an important city of Acarnania, founded by the Corinthians in 630 BC. Like the other cities of Acarnania, it went into decline when the Romans founded Nicopolis on the other side of the Ambracian Gulf after the Battle of Actium, and forced its inhabitants to move to that city. Modern Vonitsa was founded during the Byzantine era. Vonitsa was controlled by the Republic of Venice between 1684 and 1797. After the Greek War of Independence, the town became a part of the Kingdom of Greece in 1832.
Vonitsa is twinned with: