Town and city municipality
|Region||Southern and Eastern Serbia|
|• Urban||7.83 km2 (3.02 sq mi)|
|• Municipality||258.37 km2 (99.76 sq mi)|
|• Urban density||680/km2 (1,800/sq mi)|
|• Municipality density||37/km2 (96/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The City municipality of Vranjska Banja (Serbian: Градска општина Врањска Бања, romanized: Gradska opština Vranjska Banja) is a town and one of two city municipalities which constitute the City of Vranje. It is also one of the spa resorts in Serbia. Located 12 km (7 mi) northeast from the city of Vranje, it is surrounded by forests and rolling hills which offer nice scenery, and a good restaurant by the old clinic is situated at the end of the town.
The municipality has a population of 9,580 inhabitants, while the urban area has 5,347 inhabitants.
There are many excavations of early Byzantine fortresses in the region, all abandoned in the 6th and 7th century when the Slavs permanently settled in the area.
The Vranjska Banja resort thermal spring, with discharge temperatures of 96°C (205°F), are the hottest geothermal spring in Serbia. The spa water contains high levels of hydrogen sulfide (H2S), and has positive effects on illnesses related to rheumatism, skin conditions, neurological problems and others. Vranjska Banja offers short tours to nearby cities like Vranje, Vladičin Han, Surdulica and the Vlasina Lake. It is well-situated close to the main railroad, connecting Belgrade and Athens.
- "Насеља општине Врањска Бања" (pdf). stat.gov.rs (in Serbian). Statistical Office of Serbia. Retrieved 22 October 2019.
- Попис становништва, домаћинстава и станова 2011. у Републици Србији or 2011 Census of Population, Households and Dwellings in the Republic of Serbia (in Serbian). Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia. 2012. ISBN 978-86-6161-023-3.
- "Reservoir Capital Corp.: 20MW Potential Estimated for the Vranjska Banja Geothermal Project". Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- Спасић, Н. "Врањска Бања." (2005).
- Info – portal grada Vranja
|This Pčinja District, Serbia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|