The basement of the White House, the Washington, D.C. residence and workplace of the president of the United States, is located under the North Portico and includes the White House carpenters' shop, engineers' shop, bowling alley, flower shop, and dentist office, among other areas.
The sub-basement was added during the reconstruction of the White House under Harry S. Truman. It contains storage space, the laundry, elevator control machinery, the water softener, and incinerator, as well as dressing rooms for White House performers.
A bowling alley was added by Richard Nixon in 1969. There had previously been a bowling alley in the West Wing, built for President Truman in 1947, which had been moved to the Old Executive Office Building in 1955.
After the Recording Industry Association of America suggested that the White House Library should be expanded to include sound recordings, that trade group donated over 2,200 LPs during the Nixon and Carter administrations; when Ronald Reagan took office, the collection was moved to the White House basement, where it is still located.
Worm told the dental students that in addition to an operatory in the basement of the White House, there is a dental clinic at the presidential retreat at Camp David, Maryland.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to White House basement.|