|National origin||United States|
|Manufacturer||Wright Aeronautical Corporation|
|First flight||2 August 1923|
The F2W was ordered by the US Navy to enter in the 1923 Pulitzer Trophy. Wright built the aircraft primarily of wood, covered in fabric, and was powered by the Wright T-3 Tornado engine. The first F2W flew for the first time on 2 August 1923.
During the Pulitzer Race, the first F2W ran out of fuel and crashed. The second F2W, which carried twice as much fuel, finished third at 230.06 mph (370.25 km/h). It was later converted into a floatplane as the F2W-2 to take part in the 1924 Schneider Trophy race. During testing it was very unstable, and on its only flight, on 11 October 1924, crashed into the Delaware River at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, when the tremendous torque of the Tornado engine flipped it onto its back while attempting to land. The pilot, badly injured, extricated himself from the wreckage.
Data from The American Fighter from 1917 to the present 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wright F2W.|