Yagur (Hebrew: יָגוּר) is a kibbutz in northern Israel. Located on the northeastern slopes of Mount Carmel, about 9 km southeast of Haifa, it falls under the jurisdiction of Zevulun Regional Council. In 2019 it had a population of 1,617, making it one of the two largest kibbutzim in the country.
|Founded by||Ahva members|
Yagur was founded in 1922 by a settlement group called Ahva (Brotherhood). Its name was taken from an Arab village called "Yajur" nearby.
There is a site with a similar name (Jagur) mentioned in the Book of Joshua 15:21, though it was located in territory belonging to the Tribe of Judah, far to the south. At first, the members worked drying up the swamps surrounding the Kishon River and preparing the land for permanent settlement. They established various agricultural divisions and the kibbutz began to grow.
During the Mandate era, Yagur was an important center for the Haganah. During Operation Agatha on 29 June 1946, the British army conducted a major raid on the kibbutz and located a major arms depot hidden there after receiving a tip from informants. More than 300 rifles, some 100 2-inch mortars, more than 400,000 bullets, some 5,000 grenades and 78 revolvers were confiscated. Many members of the kibbutz were arrested.
The economy is now based on diversified agriculture and industry. The kibbutz operates a 5-month work-study program for young adults (18-28) in which participants learn conversational Hebrew and work in the kibbutz.
Shomeria pioneer group at Yagur, 1921
View of Yagur farmland. 1946
A room in Kibbutz Yagur after a weapon search conducted during Operation Agatha.
Members of the Yiftach Brigade training at Yagur, 1948