|See also:||Other events of 2016|
List of years in Mexico
The following lists events that happened during 2016 in Mexico.
- Gunmen shot and killed Temixco mayor Gisela Mota Ocampo at her home on 2 January, the day after she was elected. Police shot and killed several suspects and arrested several more who are suspected of involvement in organized crime.
- Mexican police arrested Sinaloa Cartel leader Joaquín Guzmán on 8 January. He had been on the run since his second escape from prison in July 2015.
- 28 March 2016: An ash column 2,000 metres high was released from Popocateptl, prompting the establishment of a 12-kilometer "security ring" around the summit.
- 3 April 2016: Popocatépetl erupted, spewing lava, ash and rock. 
- On 20 April, at least 24 people were killed, 136 others injured, following a blast at the major Clorados 3 petrochemical plant of Petroquimica Mexicana de Vinilo. The plant is run by Mexichem under agreement with Petroleos Mexicanos (Pemex), the national petrochemical company, in Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz, Mexico, on the country's southern Gulf of Mexico coast. Pemex had an earlier fire at the same facility in February 2016 that killed one worker; also that month, an offshore Pemex Gulf platform fire killed two and injured eight.
- January 2: Gisela Mota Ocampo, Presidente Municipal of Temixco, Morelos (b. 1982)
- January 7: Joaquín Gamboa Pascoe. Politician and union leader.
- March 26: Francisco García Moreno, a member of the 1968, 1972, and 1976 Olympic water polo teams was shot near his home in Cuernavaca during a robbery.
- July 17: Rafael Aguilar Talamantes. Founding politician of the Cardenista Front of National Reconstruction (PFCRN) and Federal Elections of Mexico 1994 presidential candidate in 1994.
- August 28: Juan Gabriel, 56, Singer and composer originally from Michoacán, (b. 1950).
Predicted and scheduled events
- February 29 – March 6 – 2016 Monterrey Open
- "Mexico mayor assassinated a day after taking office in Temixco". Associated Press via Chicago Tribune. 3 January 2016.
- 'El Chapo' Has Been Captured, Mexican President Says
- Reuters, Source: (29 March 2016). "Mexico's Popocatépetl volcano spews ash and gas into sky – video". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 October 2017 – via www.theguardian.com.
- "Mexico's Popocatépetl volcano violently erupts, launching burning rocks". upi.com. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- Mexico's Pemex puts blast death toll at 24, blames leak
- Klemetti, Erik (18 August 2016). "Science: Here's What's Happening in This Volcanic Explosion at Guatemala's Santiaguito/Popocatépetl". Wired. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- "Asasinan a Ex Atleta Olimpico Francisco Garcia Moreno en Cuernavaca" [Ex Olympic Athlete Francisco Garcia Moreno murdered in Cuernavaca] (in Spanish). Zona Centro Noticias. March 27, 2016. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- Confirman muerte de Juan Gabriel por infarto.